TAC Cup Review – Round 17

Updated: August 23, 2015
Darcy Parish was the first Geelong Falcon drafted after being selected with pick five by Essendon. Picture: BRIAN BARTLETT


Darcy Parish was best on ground in Geelong Falcons' big TAC Cup win over Oakleigh Chargers. Picture: BRIAN BARTLETT

Darcy Parish was best on ground in Geelong Falcons’ big TAC Cup win over Oakleigh Chargers. Picture: BRIAN BARTLETT

A THIRD quarter blitz has kept the Geelong Falcons hopes of a top four finish alive after they toppled reigning premiers Oakleigh in Saturday’s TAC Cup clash at Warrawee Park.

After an even first half, the Falcons pulled to a match-winning lead after kicking eight goals in the third term and eventually ran out winners 15.12 (102) to 11.6 (72).

The Falcons head into the final round in fifth spot on the ladder, equal on points with the fourth-placed Eastern Ranges.

But the win was soured by a potentially season-ending kneee injury to Baden Remmos, who was named one of the Falcons best in the five-goal win.

Falcons coach Andy Allthorpe was unsure of the extent of the injury and said Remmos would have scans to determine the damage.

Darcy Parish was outstanding for the Falcons, kicking two goals in a best-on-ground performance, while the hard-working Harry Kershaw was also prominent in the midfield.

Key forward Brett Blair kicked three goals along with Logan Wagener, while Charlie Curnow chipped in with two.

Ben McNamara was resolute in defence and Allthorpe was impressed by the game of ruckman Hayden Elliott in the absence of injured pair Lochie Donne and Sean Darcy.

The Falcons led by a point at half-time and Allthorpe said once they tidied up their disposal they were able to get on top of Oakleigh’s midfield.

“That third quarter was as good as what we’ve played in our two games against (top side) North Ballarat this year,” Allthorpe said.

“We turned the ball over a couple of times in second quarter and once we started to take a bit more care with the footy we really broke the game open.

“It was more the method that we went about it. The way we defended, our stoppage work, was so critical to what happened in that third quarter – we got parts of it right in the first half but we just couldn’t get it all right. But it really came together in the third quarter.”

Parish is touted as an early first round draft selection this year and Allthorpe is impressed with how he’s handling those expectations and still playing at a high standard.

“He was sharp,” Allthorpe said of Parish.

“He’s just improving as an all-round footballer and the expectations on him. His leadership is starting to really come out as well and he’s starting to drive the group and bring the best out in the guys around him.”

The Falcons host the second-placed Dandenong Stingrays at Simonds Stadium next Sunday.

“The boys are really excited for the challenge ahead. It’s always tough playing Oakleigh and next week will be an even bigger challenge,” Allthorpe said.

The Stingrays will head into the clash in good form after accounting for the Western Jets by 75 points at Williamstown in the penultimate round.

The Jets stuck with the Stingrays for most of the first half, only trailing by a couple of goals at the main break.

But they were held scoreless in the third quarter as Dandenong began to get on top. The Stingrays then kicked seven final quarter goals to run out winners 20.16 (136) to 8.3 (51).

Forwards Frank Campisi and Mitch Norton both kicked two goals for the Jets in strong performances while Jackson Volpato, Brayden Monk, Jaycob Hickey and Oscar Junker also battled hard.

Norton’s second goal saw him become the Jets’ all-time leading goalscorer on 60, overtaking the previous mark of 59 held by Stephen Neilsen. The 19-year-old Norton has played 48 TAC Cup matches for the Jets.

The Jets, who are set for their lowest finish since 2002, wrap up their season against the Calder Cannons at Craigieburn next Saturday.

Twitter: @GreenBradley

Signature Homes