VFL Review – Finals Week 1

Updated: September 6, 2015
Werribee - (Wade Archer)
Werribee - (Wade Archer)


WERRIBEE’S season has come to an end after the gallant Tigers were eliminated from the VFL finals by Collingwood at Port Melbourne.

The Tigers bowed out of the premiership race after losing 13.15 (93) to 9.10 (64) to the Magpies in the second elimination final.

Collingwood led from virtually the opening bounce and, although the Tigers at times threatened, the Magpies were able to keep them at bay to advance to the semi finals.

The final 29-point margin wasn’t indicative of the way the Tigers fought the game out right to the finish and Collingwood kicked a goal right on the final siren.

The Tigers only fielded five AFL-listed players compared to 10 by the Magpies and the strength of Collingwood’s contingent showed with utility Patrick Karnezis kicking 3.3 and ruckmen Jarrod Witts and Mason Cox combining for 55 hit-outs between them against Dan Currie.

In his 100th game, Ben Speight kicked two goals for Werribee in a solid performance along with Jason Robinson while James Hussey, vice-captain Scott Sherlock, Josh Porter, Brodie Mihocek and veteran Scott McMahon all battled hard for the Tigers.

Play was stopped for several minutes late in the match after Werribee’s teenage big man Braden Ferrari copped an accidental blow to his head and was stretchered from the ground.

He was taken to hospital for precautionary scans to his neck but early reports are that he’s escaped any serious damage.

The Tigers were dealt a blow pre-game with key on-baller Jye Bolton ruled out having not completely recovered from his fractured foot and defender Nathan Laracy was a late withdrawal because of a virus.

Collingwood started strongly and led by 21 points at quarter time. The Tigers enjoyed a good period in the second term where they closed the gap to 10 points before a late goal gave the Magpies a 15-point buffer at the main break.

The third quarter proved a decisive one in the final result as the Tigers were held to just two behinds as Collingwood increased its advantage to 28 points.

Werribee coach John Lamont implored his players to run and take the game on at three-quarter time and it worked as the Tigers kicked the first couple of goals to give their fans a small glimmer of hope of a comeback.

But the Magpies were able to steady and run out winners and will face the loser of the Sandringham-Williamstown qualifying final next weekend.

Werribee captain Michael Sodomaco said the Tigers were disappointed to have produced an inconsistent performance in a cut-throat final.

“The disappointing part was that for three quarters we didn’t play way that we wanted to play against a team that was up and ready for the challenge,” Sodomaco said.

“If we had played that we wanted to then I believe we could have won the game. We could never quite get back to that one or two goal margin and were never in a position to really threaten them. But that’s nature of elimination finals.”

Twitter: @GreenBradley

COLLINGWOOD 4.5, 7.8, 9.11, 13.15 (93)

WERRIBEE 1.2, 5.5, 5.7, 9.10 (64)


Collingwood: Karnezis 3 Still 2 Williams 2 Gray Witts Borthwick MacAffer Close Hellier.

Werribee: Robinson 2 Speight 2 Porter Hussey Harper Hanson Sherlock.


Collingwood: Witts Wallace Dwyer Matheson Borthwick Armstrong.

Werribee: Hussey Speight Sherlock Mihocek Porter McMahon

Bendigo Bank